Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My lips are chapped...

Dear Society,

My lips are chapped. My lips are chapped from lack of sympathetic moisture. Where's my soothing Burt's Bees for the sting and crack from uncomfortable moments? Just make me that fly on the wall and not the bull in the pit when you decide to have one of your "episodes." Keep me far away from the haters and bigots you've succored for so long.

I have changed my mind about the way in which you work.

It takes some idle time and people watching to really get a grip on your ways. You belong as a character in Clue. I predict you killed him in the Billiard Room with hypocrisy, not the candlestick. You can be pretty brutal, like those times in which your influence takes over the sensitivity of the people. How do you manage your power? Probably like Jafar did when he became the Ultimate Genie... not well. You probably wear red on those days. So lets cut a deal here, Society, a deal in which you give up your up tightness and begin opening your mind to everything. That isn't to be interpreted that you and I "shoot for the stars and let the moon do what it wants." There are rules. When did your judgment begin to overtake God's?

There is a right and there is a wrong. Like it is always wrong to eat soggy cereal and it is always right to dance to Selena. As for this deal: together we can be more willing to see each other's opinions, and even if I don't agree with yours, I will commend you for having one. Because you were made through a historical context and I was made by my mom and dad. So really it wouldn't be fair to hold you accountable for everything wrong. I would love to make peace with your ways, and you with everyone else's. So maybe we could cut the peer pressure part and the dictator part... it's a bad look on you, anyway. Good friends tell good friends the truth. And in the end, my lips won't be chapped. They'll actually feel really nice.

Think about it. The power of thought governs you, Society.
Write back soon.

caraLine.

2 comments:

Kris said...

you are an insightful lady. and a swell writer, if i do say so myself.

Unknown said...

What has the world come to? We should always be dancing to Selena. :)